What is Billy Bear Ham made out of?
According to current packaging, Billy Bear ham is made up of 66% pork. The rest of it is water, pea starch, salt, pea protein, dextrose, salt replacers, spices, antioxidants, stabiliser, yeast extract, and preservative.
What is black bear ham?
Black Bear® Old Fashioned Boneless Smoked Ham. Natural smoked flavor added. Trimmed & tied off the bone flavor. Extra lean. This fully cooked meat contains no added MSG.
Can you smoke black bear?
6. Hang the bear ham in a smoker that’s been preheated to 120 degrees. Open the smoker vents and hold at this temperature without smoke for 1 to 2 hours. You could put the ham in a nylon stockinette before smoking, but I didn’t have one so I just tied a loop to the exposed bone with some kitchen twine.
Who owns Billy Bear ham?
The Feldhues Group
Billy Bear ham is the product of German-based company The Feldhues Group and surprisingly, it’s not the only “face meat” they manufacture either – Happy Lion, Happy Tractor, Happy Fox and more all make up the collection of hams, and they’re all still available to get your hands on too, if you’re in the market for that …
Where is Billy Bear Ham made?
“In Germany, we have a food factory and an engineering firm called Feldhues Tech. They design and build the production lines that we use to manufacture the Billy Bear and Roll.
How do you use rendered bear fat?
Rendering Bear Fat
- Cut bear fat into 1-inch cubes.
- Set a wide, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat and pour in just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom.
- Layer the fat cubes in a single layer in the bottom of the pot.
- After several hours all of the fat should be melted.
How do you handle bear meat?
How to Process Black Bear Meat
- Make a plan for processing the meat before you go hunting.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water for 30 seconds before handling any raw meat.
- Use your knife to cut away as much of the fat as possible from the bear meat soon after the kill.
Are bear Ribs good to eat?
Like venison, it’s a deeper red meat than beef, with a texture similar to pork. In the spring, bear come out of hibernation with much less fat; so, the flavor and tenderness of spring bear is better than fall bear. Use proper cooking techniques to help ensure bear meat is safe to eat.
Who makes Billy Bear?
What’s in Billy Bear meat?
The ingredients listed on the Billy Bear packaging are pork (66 per cent), water, pea starch, salt, pea protein, dextrose, salt replacers, spices, ascorbic acid, diphosphates, yeast extract, and sodium nitrite.
What can you do with a bear Ham?
1. Prepare the bear ham by removing the fat cap and much of the other surface fat. Keep the fat for rendering. Bear fat is great for frying potatoes, making biscuits and even waterproofing your boots. 2.
Is it OK to smoke a bear Ham?
There are so many tasty ways to prepare bear meat but, smoking a large bone-in bear ham takes the meat to the next level for taste. Plus, it is a terrific way to prepare large amounts of meat. Making homemade ham is a lengthy marinating and tenderizing process and this delicious smoked bear ham recipe is worth the wait.
What kind of salt do you use on a black bear Ham?
First, the bear would have to go in a brine. Many ham brines call for InstaCure, which is also known as Pink Salt. I went with Morton’s Tender Quick instead, which includes nitrates and nitrates, as well as salt. Here’s the recipe:
How long do you brine a black bear Ham?
Add the bear ham to the brine, ensuring it is completely submerged. Place a weighted plate or pan on top of the bear to keep it under the surface of the brine. 4. Brine the bear for 10 days (or one day per pound).